Tale of Two Pictures, Part 1: This undated and unsigned drawing comes from the files of the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History, where the Stamper site collections are housed. Archeological sleuth Chris Lintz surmises that this drawing depicts the Stamper site as its 1933-1934 excavator, C. Stuart Johnston, envisioned it during the period he was working at the site. Note that the buildings have very low walls and hipped, thatched roofs with low, extended entranceways. Compare drawing to Johnston's 1935 painting of the same scene (Part 2).

Close Window